BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Brodie Scott - 6 years on

February 22 2004, we got the tragic news that my nephew - Brodie Scott, had passed away - from SIDS.  At the time my sister was living 3 hours away, and the hardest thing in my life - besides learning of Brodie's death, and my Grandfather's death - was not being able to run to my sister & hold her, and let her cry - and cry with her.

They held the funeral up here, and something I hope I never have to do again, is see such a tiny coffin - it was quite honestly, the saddest, most heartbreaking thing I have ever seen.  My sister was only 17 at the time, and she was so strong - I admired her in a whole new way after that was over... I don't know that I could have handled it as well as she did - of course it wasn't easy for her - and afterward was extremely challenging for her, but in those days where she had to plan, and then do the hardest thing a parent ever has to do - she was strength personified.

It has been 6 years today, since we lost our precious little guy - and so much has changed, in all of our lives... yet when this day rolls around, I think all of us are taken right back to THAT day, and it seems as if we are back in that horrible moment.  It breaks my heart that Gaby & Emersyn will never know their big cousin - that they'll have no memories of him... all they'll know about him, will be from our stories, and looking at photos.  The one photo I would love to have - that I'll never have the chance to have, is one of Brodie, Gaby & Emersyn... sitting on the couch, all smiling like goofy little cheeksters... sitting impatiently around the Christmas tree, on Christmas morning... standing around one another at each others birthday parties - when it's time for the blowing out of candles...

As the saying goes - life goes on - and indeed, it does, but there is such sorrow, in knowing that it goes on, without Brodie....

 
our first photo of Brodie - a few hours old
born at 35 weeks, Brodie spent 10 days in the NICU

 
well enough to be out of the incubator
wearing a little knitted outfit I made for him
in 'our' teams colours - being held by Mummy


 
home from hospital!
in his favourite 'froggy' position


 
Brodie's first smile
December 12, 2003
smiling at Poppa


 
Brodie & his Mummy

0 comments: