BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gaby & Lily - BFF's! (onto the next stage of development)

Gaby has her first official BFF! (Best Friend Forever).

There is a little girl at her preschool - Lily, and Gaby has been talking about her for a while now, and a couple of weeks ago said to me "Mum, Lily is my best friend!".  It was the first time I'd heard her mention 'best friend' or anything of the sort, and almost made me cry a little, because it means she's moving on to a whole other stage of her social & emotional development!

I took Gaby's profile book home from preschool last Wednesday, and in the back was a story about Gaby & Lily (they take photos of the kids & write stories explaining what they were doing)... In this story, Gaby & Lily were going to the beach, but first they had to go to the supermarket to buy bread, toothpaste and toilet paper, eventually they made it to the beach.  Was really really nice seeing the photos - it was like being given a glimpse into Gaby's life at preschool.  Her and Lily were both wearing the dress ups - shoes with a little heel, big floppy hats & dresses over their normal clothes... VERY cute.

It's so amazing to actually notice a change in Gaby's development.  Studying early childhood education for the 2 years I did, and then human development for a further year, I learnt a lot about the various theories of human development - it was something that really interested me, and I managed to keep it all in my information bank....  The biggest change in development I have noticed, is Gaby's play & choices are becoming more 'gender appropriate' - at preschool she is now crazy about Lily, rather than her boyfriend Kayne, rather than playing on the bikes, she plays in the family corner, plays with the dolls, dresses up... & I've noticed she's also very much into the "I was the Mummy and Kayne was the Daddy", whereas a few months ago, she would have been the Daddy & Kayne might have been the Mummy.  I guess now is an important time to try to not label various jobs, activities, roles as 'for girls' or 'for boys'....

0 comments: