BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 23, 2009

Gaby got the vacation fever! (literally)

We arrived in Queenstown on Thursday, Friday my Grandma picked us up, so we could go and stay with her, in Wanaka, for two nights.  I presumed it'd be a nice time, a good chance to spend some time with my Grandma - and Gaby's Great-Grandma. 

Everything was fine and dandy until I checked on Gaby (in bed) on Saturday night, and noticed she felt a bit warm.  Presuming it was just because she was in bed & warm, I took off a couple of the covers, and figured she'd be fine.  I went to bed at 10.15pm & when I gave Gaby a kiss goodnight - she was even hotter, all over.  My spidey [Mummy] senses started tingling, and I asked my Grandma if she could see what she thought - whether Gaby was just hot from bed, or if she had a fever.  She felt her forehead and said she thought she was just hot from being in bed, but got the thermometer anyway.  I took her temperature - and it was at 39.0c - 36.5-37.0c is considered normal, so she definately had a fever!  I took more layers of bedding off her, stripped her down to her nappy & then sponged her down with some tepid water.  15 minutes later the temperature hadn't gone down at all - and that is when I noticed a rash.  Naturally putting a rash & high fever together, I freaked out, and imagined all sorts of outcomes - foremost in my mind was meningitis, even though I was sure it wasn't a meningitis rash.  I ended up ringing the on-call doctor, just for advice - and she told me to take Gaby into the surgery & she'd meet me there.  Of course being on vacation, I didn't have any Pamol (tylenol for you American ladies!) or Ibuprofen, so I really had no way of getting the temp down.

The doctor met us and after examining Gaby, she determined that she had a virus called 'Slap Cheek', which is basically a virus where they get a really high temp, a rash all over - and their cheeks go bright red, and it looks as if they have been slapped... hence the name, slap cheek.  She gave me some Pamol & Ibuprofen, and sent us on our merry way. 

Luckily the meds worked.  At 12.15 her temp was down to 38.2c, and by 2am, it was down to 37.1c... I still didn't sleep very well - I can't help but worry when Gaby is sick!  Especially when it comes on so suddenly.

Three days later she seems to be better.  The rash is mostly gone, and she no longer has a fever... thank goodness.

Lesson learnt:  when going on holiday with a child, always take a supply of Pamol or Ibuprofen, in case of fever, or other complaint!

0 comments: