BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Santa is scary? Is this genetics?

I noticed on Friday, while at our local mall, that Santa was due to arrive on Saturday at 1pm.  I decided it'd be something fun for Gaby, so naturally I told her about it, and she WAS excited.  I couldn't wait! She spent the rest of Friday - and Saturday morning, telling anyone who would listen "I'm seeing Santa at the Palms", "Santa is coming tomorrow/today", "I love Santa" - she even spent 10 minutes, explaining to Fluffy, that she (ie the cat) had to be a good girl, or she couldn't go to visit Santa at the Palms, it was about as adorable as it gets!

Saturday, midday - we arrive at the mall.  We line up in the line to see Santa - and are THIRD from the front.  An hour after we lined up, we finally had word that Santa was on his way - that he was outside the mall, getting out of his sleigh (which was being pulled by Clydesdale horses).  I heard the tell tale 'jingle jingle' of a bell being shaken, and then the noise in the mall indicated that Santa had arrived!  Gaby was looking around, trying to see Santa - and then she got the glimpse she'd been waiting for....

AND SHE BEGAN SCREAMING - and not in a good way!  Poor Gaby was TERRIFIED of Santa, and told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't want to sit on Santa's knee an she wanted to go home... I tried to talk her down, told her that I would sit on Santa's knee with her, but nope - it was not going to happen!  Reluctantly I stepped out of line, and asked Gaby "are you sure you want to go home?" - to which she replied "yes please Mummy, I want to leave".  The poor girl, she looked as if she'd just had the biggest scare of her life. 

As soon as we left the immediate area, she was back to her usual, happy, cheerful self.  I am not sure if it was all the noise associated with Santa's arrival, that freaked her out - or if perhaps she's inherited my irrational fear, of people dressed up in mascot type costumes.  For as long as I can remember, seeing someone dressed up in a costume, has freaked me out - particularly if I can't see their real face - I can't explain why I feel this way, but it sends shivers down my spine, and I have to do all I can to not let out some form of terrified scream...

I am going to try her with Santa again, later in the week - when there aren't as many people around, and when there isn't the same level of excitement, and noise - but I have a feeling she will be just as unwilling....

Poor kiddo!

0 comments: